Thursday 16 February 2012

Why I'm doing this - a reminder!

We take bridges for granted, there are more per square mile here than anywhere in the world. Some are quite interesting, some have history, a few are pretty and some are frankly boring but we need them all in good order. Did you ever see the film The Bridges of Madison County? See where I got the idea from: http://www.grannybuttons.com/granny_buttons/2008/09/the-bridges-of.html This a blog about life on the canals by a canal boat owner who also helps edit Waterways World magazine. See his blog about the day we met.

This blog attempts to raise public interest into a clamour to have our local bridges properly maintained. Having been the bridge inspector for 3 years until my redundancy last April, I can say that it is an outrage how they have been looked after, (or not). I may tell you a tale or two! Bridge management has been anything but Lean for too long. I want to get some of these fixed. Maybe go and see for yourself. Join in lobbying.

Next bridge up - The Fabulous historic Iron Bridge at Newport Pagnell.  I just need to work out how to get Gary Baxter's amazing photographs of the structure into this blog along with the text I want.  It almost looks to me as if he has been able to climb into the underside ironwork which is more than I was ever able to do when I gave its last 2-3 yearly General Inspection. But then he is a professional photographer!

Before I feature it, how many of you following or reading this know when it was built?  Answers on a post card please...

No comments:

Post a Comment